I had planned on making some when I got pregnant, but since I didn't even tell Johnny I was pregnant with Joy until Christmas last year, after this dress was already finished, and since that was still really early, I didn't feel like spilling the beans through a sewing project.
But now that my crazy birth story has far out-shadowed anything else, this post is long overdue.
I got this pattern from my mom, who got it for her friend's wedding in the 70s, clearly. All I had to do was shorten the hem, and voila, modern classic.
Transforming it into a maternity dress was pretty easy, too. I took out some of the gathering in the bust and the empire waistline, and added about 5" more to the skirt front, which I hid in a pleat. Easy peasy.
Things I learned making this dress:
- I need to remember that in addition to a bigger chest and belly, pregnancy also means a wider rib cage. Although this dress was big enough to make it all three trimesters, the empire seam was too tight by the time I hit my last one. So I couldn't zip it up. Luckily it was warm by then, so I didn't miss it as much.
- If you are going to sew a ribbon on a seam, remember that early, before you sew the zipper on. As you can see, I was unsuccessful at matching them in the back.
Pockets are absolutely necessary for every pregnant person. They save so many trips up and down from the floor.
1 comment:
This dress is a winner. I thought it was so cute on.
Post a Comment