Friday, August 20, 2010

May's Dress

May was another crazy month because we closed on our new house and I was busy unpacking the rest of the month. I didn't even have time to think about sewing until Memorial Day weekend when I realized the month would end if I wasn't careful. So, time crunch being what it was, I dug in a few boxes in my sewing room, which at the time was also G's room since his was being painted, so consequently it was also one of the last rooms we unpacked . . . sometime in June . . . so finding supplies was more than half the battle on this one.

I wanted to make a dress I had already done. An easy pattern that I knew I could do in a few hours. After tracking down some fabric, I made this dress:

And because I cut and pinned some the night before, it only took me a few hours on Memorial Day to get it done. So I squeaked by on that one.
Things I Learned Making This Dress:
  • I have an extremely supportive husband. He must like me in dresses cause he took G for as long as I needed, essentially giving up his day off to help me reach my goal. Love.
  • I really love having a sewing room. Two months in a row of guerrilla sewing has made me appreciate have space devoted to me and my hobbies.
  • Practice really does help. The pointed V neckline of this dress was so much easier and better looking than any other I've made.
Things I Had Never Done Before:
  • Well, even though I'd made this pattern before, I had never put pockets in it before. I did have to do some fudging again with the layout, which I was also better at this time around.
  • I think this was the first time I put in a zipper successfully without unpicking anything, ever.
  • Also, this was the first time I got to sew in my new house, which was exciting and motivating to get my sewing room put together.

No comments: