So today when I went to get him and I couldn't open his door, I assumed it was because he was holding the handle. But after trying to convince him to step away from the door and let go of the handle, it hit me that no toddler is that strong. This sweet little face had locked himself in his room.
We have ancient doorknobs in our house and they lock via a switch at the bottom. G is currently obsessed with flipping switches, so it wasn't really a surprise that he had switched this one. And how do you explain to someone who doesn't speak English that he needs to switch it the other way. Not to mention it's pretty hard to unlock, not as hard to lock.
So while Johnny was outside trying to see if he could get in the window, I was trying to take off the doorknob. All the while G is screaming and crying. Poor kid. Couldn't understand why we wouldn't let him out. While I was trying to get the doorknob off, I saw a hole going to the lock. Johnny grabbed his tools that we conveniently found the other day and using a square screwdriver head and some pliers to solve the angle problems, we finally released the boy.
And of course, Johnny got the ridiculously long hug. Mommy got nothing. But I did try to reassure him that we will never be using "locked in your room" as a punishment. We also tried to explain the doorknob switch lock, but I don't think it sunk in.
. . . so we're keep the tools in our room.
The pictures for this post were taken one morning a few weeks ago when G was playing Rambo with my fuzzy belt.
No comments:
Post a Comment