Thursday, June 07, 2012

May's Wreath

I used to think yarn was for old ladies to make into blankets and tissue box covers and lumpy sweaters.  I have made my fair share of these things --okay, not the tissue box cover-- but I love a lot of things in the "old lady" category.  I assumed it was just because I'm an old soul, but really, yarn is cool.  

Don't believe me?  Check it out.
I made the two on the left.
It can be funky, stylish, even chic.  Who knew, right?
I am totally addicted to yarn wreaths.  So even though we made one in March, we made another in May.  Actually, I made two.  Luckily, I have two doors.  To be honest, I'll probably make another one.  And I'll probably try to convince the Relief Society to do this for their Christmas craft.  

Why do I love yarn wreaths so much?  Because they're fun to make, and super cheap.  Plus, they go great with felt, another love of mine.  

Supplies
  • straw wreath 2@ $3
  • yarn $3 for gray, white was free
  • felt $3 for 12 squares good for future projects
  • pearls $3
Total for 2 wreaths = $15


Step 1: wrap the yarn around the wreath.  I must say, it is infinitely faster and easier to do if the yarn is in a ball rather than a skein.
For those who care, it take a little less than 1/2 skein to wrap a 12" straw wreath
This is the other wreath, the yarn does not change color once it's wrapped.
Step 2: cut out felt diamonds.

I probably made this step much harder than it needed to be.  First I measured the circumference of the wreath, divided by two and determined how many squares I would need.  It came out to be 10 4" squares.  Then I made them all with paper to see how they'd fit.  I cut squares and had to keep modifying them.  So, just cut diamonds to begin with.  It will be easier.
Step 4: place the felt around the wreath and hot glue the corners.

Step 5: wrap the brown yarn around to finish the argyle pattern.
Step 6: Hot glue ribbon to the back and hang on the door.

For the other variation:

Step 1: wrap the yarn around the wreath
Step 2: Cut out a circle of felt.  Cut the circle into a long strip leaving a circle in the center.  Roll the strip of felt to create a rose and glue the rose to the center circle.  (Or make any felt/fabric flowers)

Step 3: Hot glue bands of ribbon, lace, and pearls to the wreath.
Step 4: Hot glue flowers to wreath
Step 5: Hot glue or wrap ribbon around wreath and hang on door.



And here are some other creative variations:

1 comment:

Teandra said...

those turned out darling! Nice job