Wednesday, June 20, 2007

I've been tagged

By Erin to share 7 things people don't know about me. I can only think of 1, so the other 6 are some of the bizarre goals I have for my life.



Things You Don't Know About Me:



1- I do not know how to whistle. This is because when I was little I decided I could either learn to whistle, or learn to wink (why I couldn't do both, I have no idea. Maybe I only wanted to look silly practicing one or the other for a very limited period of time). And because of some embarrassing experiences, I decided to learn to wink. Mostly the embarrassment consisted of someone like a family member winking at me, and my only response being to blink really hard. I thought that was stupid. So, at any rate, I never learned to whistle and I feel very foolish practicing now. Also, I can only wink really well with one eye. I can wink with my other one now, if pressed, but for years, I could only do one. I just practiced with my left eye first. I think I intended to get around to the other one, but I was so happy to be able to wink when I got one eye down that I just stopped.


2- I have, from the age of at least 8, wanted to be the voice of an animated character in a full-length movie. When I was little, it was a Disney movie because when I was little Disney were the only ones making animated movies. But now I think I'd be happy with any animated movie. Only I'm a little sad because in the good old days, animated movies were musicals and the characters themselves sang. Now there's music from other artists in a soundtrack mode. And let's face it, one of the big reasons to be an animated star was to be able to sing.

3- I hope to one day have the definitive Jane Austen movie collection. This means every version of her books put on film. And I suppose the new movie coming out about her will probably be in there too. I have a few movies already, and an only moderately large wishlist on Amazon. This is because there are a lot of BBC versions of her books that just aren't available, at least here in the US.

4- I hadn't really put this one into words until I had already done it (yes, a goal accomplished, I know *applause*) but I had always wanted to eat a meal entirely with my hands. And not just hamburger and fries, but medieval style with a big hunk of meat and a foamy stein and all that good stuff. And let me tell you, it was really fun. And it felt really good to cross off a goal.

5-I would like to one day write a book. This is bizarre for me because a) I have at least 3 failed attempts at fiction taking up space on various hard drives and diskettes (yes, they are that old), b) despite what they tell you, you do not need to be a good writer, or a good speller to get a college degree in English, and c) I think my writing is actually decent (not that I'm biased or anything), but I never know how whatever I'm writing is going to end, which makes it difficult to finish. That is why I think my best chance to fulfill this goal is in the realm of non-fiction, or at least flirting with that line.

6- To own a beautiful 1914 edition (or older) of Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South. There was one at my college library that they actually let people borrow. I got it right before I graduated and that was the first time I've been really tempted to steal something. But I didn't. I've always loved old books, and now thanks to my experience with North and South, I intend to own it.

7- I want to live in a house with a turret. A two-story turret. And the first floor would be a library, and the top floor would be the master bedroom. Because who doesn't want to sleep in a turret? Also in this house that I will one day have will be a sewing room, and music room and a really cool play room. And (because of who I married) a home theater, which will probably not actually be attached to the house, but more like a garage, a separate garage.

No comments: