I don't remember my first dress, but it was probably a hand-me-down from my sister when she was a baby. But that's okay because baby clothes are meant to be hand-me-downs. What was sad was when I got her hand-me-downs later. Not that I didn't like her clothes, but I am what is traditionally called a "late bloomer", and though me and my sister are about the same height now, she got her height mostly by sixth grade, whereas I didn't start growing until after seventh and continued on until my Junior year of high school, or sometime around then. So with her already two years older, most of her clothes didn't really fit me. So I don't know where I got some of my clothes from.
But I do remember that I have always loved dresses. There was one sun dress I had in pre-school, so I was four, and it was blue with bright balloons on it. The balloons were red and yellow. It was smocked in the front and had straps about 1" thick. I remember this dress particularly because the one time I wore it to class, I got really self-conscious. I think that was the first time I really thought about dressing for modesty. Anyway, sadly I didn't really wear that dress much after that. And every time I looked at it in my closet, it made me sad. And my little sister didn't wear it much.
I also remember this dress my cousin gave me. It was black with a paisley design and a white lace collar. I wore that thing until it was a little too small for me. I thought it was the prettiest thing I'd ever seen when she gave it to me, and I couldn't believe I was so lucky. That was the best hand-me-down ever. I even wore it for a family picture, so it is immortalized on my parents' wall.
Hmmm, dresses. I should wear them more often . . .
1 comment:
Tara,
Where do you come up with this? I like dresses too. We should go get some...
Post a Comment