Yes, I am OCD, a little, but aren't most people? (hey, a girl can dream ... and justify, right?) And yes, I am an English Major, which means that sometimes I get really annoyed or frustrated or just bugged by grammatical errors. Now, I don't mean to say that I go around correcting any one's grammar. Cause I don't. Speaking is a different kind of art all together. But if you are writing something down, something that a lot of people are going to see, like say, a billboard, you might want to have someone, a native English speaker perhaps, look it over for you first before you go advertising your lack of English skills to the world. Or at least the neighborhood at large. Maybe even the city.
So, what sparked this (mini, and not very mean) rant? Well, there's a lovely little church on the corner of a fairly busy road and the street I turn onto to get to my house. This intersection is right after the freeway exits onto the busy road. So there is a lot of traffic passing this church. This church, like many Christian churches has a sign out in front that they change about once a month to tell the community about choir concerts or events in the church, but for the most part the pastor puts punny little messages on it, that I will admit make me smile every time I pass the church on my way home. I enjoy a good pun. Perhaps it is because I enjoy this church and its sign so much that I have been so bothered by the recent message. Now remember I told you that the sign changes about once a month. Well, this particular sign has been there since November. Which is another reason why it has bothered me. I'm not really, really annoyed on the off chance that something sad and tragic has happened to the pastor resulting in the grammatically incorrect sign remaining on the side of the road for so long. I don't know, I don't go to this particular Christian church. And I wouldn't have minded it being up so long quite so much had it been one of their regular, delightfully bad puns on a Christian theme. But it says this: "Quit griping about your church. If it was perfect you can't belong."
Luckily for me, because of play practice, I don't go home that way much any more. But I'm really hoping that the next time I do, they are back on their regularly scheduled punny, grammatically correct, religiously themed sign that will make me smile.
1 comment:
I don't get it, but then again, i ain't a english major. LOL
Post a Comment