So our biannual family reunion was at Yellowstone this year (post to follow), so at the end of June I headed out to Utah to spend some time with my fam before heading up to Idaho. Johnny didn't get to join me for a whole week. Did I think traveling alone with 2 children was a good idea? Not exactly, but I thought "Hey, I'm going at the beginning of the trip before everyone is sleep deprived and jet lagged. They'll be well rested, excited, and willing to listen. Our flights are pretty ideal times. I've taken airport-running-away precautions. So I should be okay. Plus, it's just one day. I can handle anything for one day after the year I've had."
False. The above may sound logical, but I forgot to take into account that airplane travel is the most horrible of all necessary evils. Our 8:30 pm arrival time (10:30 our time) turned into midnight. And you can imagine how much trouble one baby can be who doesn't get to sleep until (what feels to her like) 2 am. Not a good idea.
Needless to say, it took a few days for all of us to be not grouchy. But I will say, once they adjusted, the children were awesome on the trip. They slept great, they were happy, and we all had fun. Here's the evidence:
![]() |
| The Captain helping Grandpa mow the lawn. And wearing proper ear protection. Thanks, Dad. |
![]() |
| Kicking up a lot of dirt. |
![]() |
| Lil Miss Blue Eyes enjoying the shade on the porch. |
![]() |
| Did she like Grandma's house? |
![]() |
| Water gun wars! |
The Captain is very serious about his water guns, apparently.
After we got back from our family reunion, we took the Trax train (the Captain loved it) to downtown SLC and went to Temple Square.
Checked out the fountains at the new City Creek Center.
![]() |
| These were definitely Johnny's favorites. They looked like jellyfish and moved in the wind. Totally cool. |
Went to the Church History Museum. The Captain DID NOT want to leave that.
Went to the Clark Planetarium at the Gateway Mall. The Captain DID NOT want to leave that either.
And played in the fountains at the Gateway, of course. Joy DID NOT want to leave those.
It might have been the greatest day ever. The boys feel asleep on the train ride home. I totally would have too because it was a really hot day and I spent it carrying 17 lbs of dead weight around in a non-ergonomical fashion, but Joy would not sleep, so I didn't get to either. Silly baby.













No comments:
Post a Comment