Thursday, April 24, 2014

Europe Trip - Tongren

We drove from Frankfurt to Tongeren, Belgium.  It was a gorgeous drive.  It reminded me of driving through western Virginia.  Only in every city there would be ridiculously old churches on the hills.  Awesome.

We had a great hotel here.  The best of our whole trip.  It was a little boutique, with only 7 rooms, which is probably because the rooms looked like this:

Pardon my mess, it's just the camera bag and 37 pillows from trying to sleep while pregnant.
This is the bathroom.  I had to walk through a second sleeping area to get here.  That is a heated towel rack.  This is way bigger than my bathroom at home.
This was the only downside to our room.  At least we were only on the second floor.  I felt like I took my life (and my unborn child's) into my hands every time I went down these stairs.  Luckily, we didn't have to carry our luggage up them, they have a dumb waiter they use for cleaning supplies.  I could have gotten a better picture, but my fear of heights kicked in.  Sorry.

This is our view from the hotel.  It was an awesome church.  My last day there I went inside and took some ridiculously blurry pictures, which will not be shown.  

Another view of the awesome church.
It was market day our first day there.  This is just the plant section.  They had clothes, lots of food and produce, and even fabric.  I would have taken more pictures, but I was in tourist mode, not photographer mode. 

I love the old buildings in Europe.  Also, I thought it was cool that all the kids had to wear safety vests as they were walking to school.  

Tongeren is one of the oldest cities in Europe, certainly in Belgium.  It was a Roman stronghold.  And they have an awesome museum that goes through the history of the town from early man through the end of the Romans. After I explored that, I went on one of the walking tours of the city.  I saw remnants of the old wall.


This was a section of the town built in the 1200s by a group of women called the Beguines.  They were not nuns or housewives, but opted to devote their lives to service.  They built hospitals and churches.  It's a pretty cool, little known bit of feminist history.
The church out our window wasn't the only one.  There was one in the Beguine.  And this one, recently remodeled, to St. James.

No comments: