...But then again, sometimes you can. And isn't great when it happens? I think it's happened to me like four times in my life. First, when my crush asked me to Prom junior year, though, now that I think about it, doesn't really count because I didn't really spend that much time wanting that to happen. Maybe a brief fantasy here and there, but I never considered it an actual possibility, ... so maybe just three times.
First, when my now husband asked me to Prom in high school. I liked him so badly and I really wanted him to ask me to a dance so I could show him how good I clean up and he would fall madly in love with me. Okay, so that last part didn't happen until several years later, but I did clean up good.
Second, getting my now husband to fall madly in love with me and marry me. I had to become completely uninterested in him before this happened, but in the end, my high school fantasy came true.
Third, going to London for a study abroad. I set this as a "goal" for myself when I entered college. I use quote marks because I never thought I'd really be able to do it, but then I did. And it was one of the best experiences of my life.
Now, these three experiences are unique because they weren't just goals I set for myself. In the case of my husband, I had no control over his thoughts and feelings, and so can not really consider those as goals. Goals are things you actually expect to be able to do, you just need a little boost, or baby steps, or whatever to get there. Those three experiences were dreams come true because they weren't things that I ever thought I'd be able to do.
Well, yet another dream has come true for me. (And Mo, you can do it too by the time you're 30. Let's chat and I'll share my new philosophies.) I am in a play. I'm back on the wagon, and this time, for the first time, I got a lead. And not just any lead, the lead I auditioned for. I had abandoned the hope of ever getting a lead in a play while I was in high school. This abandonment of hope stayed with me through college. I desperately wanted to get the lead in a play, don't get me wrong, I just never thought I could because I'm too tall, I only get cast for my dancing, there's too much politics in theater . . . . But one of my life long fantasies is fulfilled. My audition was very different from Morgan's. (I'm pretty sure you can scroll down and find what I'm talking about because you all read Morgan's blog too, I know.) I went into an audition, and based on nothing else but my talent and wow factor, I got a lead. And I auditioned more than a week before they cast it, with no call backs. Granted, it is a community theater production, but you gotta start somewhere, and now that I've had a taste of this dream, I think I could do it again.
So here's to dreams come true.
P.S. It's Singing in the Rain and I'm Lina Lamont.
5 comments:
Hooray!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!
Yay! I'm going to come see you!
Are you tappin'?
You're amazing! Let me know when is it! (I should've tried out....)
Thanks, guys. Tea, it's February 7-March 1 on Friday, Saturday, and Monday. Mo, sadly, I don't think Lina does any tapping. Much to my chagrin since I could have my own tap tutor and we would have a great excuse to get together. Got your card by the way, it was great.
Okay, I'm coming on the 16th. I'll bring flowers.
Post a Comment