Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Home Remodeling

First of all, let me apologize for not posting in so long. I know how frustrated I get when I go to my favorite blogs and they haven't posted anything new in over a month, or a week, in some cases. (I know that somewhat assumes this is someones favorite blog, but don't worry, I have no such delusions.) Let me explain a little of what happened. I was in a show all last month, which kept my nights pretty much occupied. When that closed, I suddenly became crazy busy (probably all the stuff I kept shoving to the back burners during the show), then we fired one of the legal assistants at work. We were already short staffed due to new baby (congrats Carrie!) so everyone's been putting in ridiculous hours and all I want to do when I get home is crash. So as penance for my slothfulness, I bring you ... pictures!! Lots of pictures for the next few posts, I hope. But to start, my home remodeling. I have been repeatedly asked (yes Erin, I hear you) for pictures of the latest goings on in my house. So here you go. First: here's what the house looked like before we moved in.


The first thing to go was the carpet. As seen here:


Now, if you look closely, you can see the lovely window coverings (window boxes with pleated peach curtains) and the great paint job on the back wall. That darker section by the mirror is where bookshelves used to be that just didn't get moved before the last paint job. But before we tackled that mess, we decided to help the ceiling. Not only was there lovely faux wood paneling in the house:

But also a popcorn ceiling:

Pardon my mess. So we took down the lovely curtains:









And scraped off the ceiling, which went very smoothly thanks to some helpful advice from my bro and sis in Seattle who had also dealt with the mess of the popcorn (thanks guys!).
And underneath we found sky blue ceilings and spring green walls and all the settling and poor taping of the sheet rock, which the hope of concealing probably led to the idea of putting up popcorn in the first place. So after fixing what we could, we decided white would be too unforgiving to paint it, and we were done with texture at this point, so we went with lavender. It was a good choice. I really like it. You can kind of seen it in this next picture which is after we took down the faux wood and had to rebuild the wall since the wood paneling was glued to the untaped and unmudded dry wall. Oh and also, this wall, which creates a hallway in the house, is not actually attached to either of the two walls it connects to. Awesome.

So we rebuilt the wall. Then primed everything. Here's Johnny by his handy work.

Then finally, we painted the walls. We did white in this room and on the wall with the mirror a few pictures back, and on wall with the fireplace ...

Green!






I think the is best green known to man. Every light I see it in, it continues to make me happy. It's a very cheery green and adds some nice color to the house. There is still more to do. Lots more, but I will try to be better with the pictures from now on. Also I apologize if this takes forever to load. I wasn't sure what size the pictures were when I posted them.

4 comments:

Teandra said...

You would have never known it looked so horid. I love your house!

The Leithead Family said...

hallelujah! (Bev says: hi-yoo-ya?)

Thanks for the update. Was it so much like pullin' teeth?

By the way, my word verification is on the edge of being foul! "gndamm"!!

The Carroll's said...

Gotta love the 70's take on home decor! I hate wood walls. My Grandparents have it in the add-on they did in 1972. They still have them up and will NEVER take it down. To quote my Grandma "That's quality wood, and it's gorgeous!" Yeah if you like living in a cave!!

THANK YOU for taking it down! Doesn't it just feel livelier?

Tara Jayne said...

I think taking down that horrible wood paneling opened up the room by at least 16 inches. Well, at least mentally. And it's so much lighter. We noticed an immediate difference. But our grandpa, who owns the house, still loves the stuff. What is it with old people and faux wood?