Okay, so this is not really a national holiday, but I bet it could be. I assume, based on my in-depth knowledge of females, that they would rather break some boy's heart after V-day than before. Because you already have those plans made and the perfect gift you bought a week or two before . . . yeah, definitely break up the day after Valentine's.
I know so many people (my 17 yr. old version of myself included) who get bitter about Valentine's Day. I used to call it Single Awareness Day in college. I personally have had some very crappy Valentine's Days. The two most memorable happened after I was married. But I've also had some awesome Valentine's Days. And lots and lots of unmemorable ones that, well, I obviously can't remember.
To combat the cynicism, I usually choose to dress for the occasion. It's amazing what a pink ribbon can do for the spirits, not to mention a well-planed, detailed outfit. But I still thought Valentine's was a big commercial crock set up by greeting card companies who just want to earn money again after Christmas sales . . . until I read a great article in, of all places, a parenting magazine I got a free subscription for.
It was written by a husband/father directed at men and it stated that while, yes, you can look at the holiday as another potential romantic failure waiting to happen, why not look at it as a day to celebrate love instead. Because while wives may prefer random flowers, or romantical outings, or spontaneous "I love you"s, husbands aren't always good about those things. So at least there is one day a year specifically set aside to remind husbands (and wives) that they can do more to show their love.
That's why this year I decided to do a little love tribute for V-day on my blog. Because I can certainly use the reminder to do more to show my husband and my sweet kids how great they are, and that I love them lots and lots. Hopefully I shared some love with you too. Because I do love you too. Because Valentine's Day is about friends and family and random acts of kindness from strangers, all of which I have.
So forget the bitter and hopeless and embrace the love that really is all around. And Happy Valentine's Day next year. (I'm getting a head start.)
No comments:
Post a Comment