Sunday, August 26, 2012

One year older and wiser too

Well, this post will probably end up quite lengthy, and we're just going to pretend that I didn't take a long hiatus from posting.  We have been spending our summer getting ready for pre-school by having alphabet days.  We take one letter on school days, mostly, and try to do one activity and eat one food that starts with that letter.  It has been great practice for my creativity.  I only mention this because Joy's birthday fell on our S day.  I may have finagled things so that it would because she likes many things that start with S.

After her first nap we went to the park and played on the swings.
Hmm. Does she love her swings?
I think she does.





Although she is not walking yet, she is close.  She can stand up with one hand, or just a tummy for support.  Also on her birthday, she stood up with no help for the first time.  Exciting stuff.
 She pretty much refused to take an afternoon nap, so after some crying in her crib while I got stuff ready, we picked up Johnny from work and went out to dinner (at the same restaurant I went to in labor last year and haven't been to since, ironically enough) and then swimming at the Aquatic Center since this girl loves her some water.  I didn't get any pictures, because, well it was water.  But one day I promise I'll get a picture of her in her swimming suit.  It's really cute.  We all had a good time once we got adjusted to the coldish water.  Even The Captain ended up jumping and laughing, so I call that a success.

We got home too late to do cake and presents so we saved that for the next day.  It was kind of rough for Miss Joy that next day--she had a doctor's appointment with shots and then we had to go to the lab at the hospital for a blood draw, which of course took two tries and lots of crying.  I was so exhausted I almost didn't make a cake, but I figured that after her day, Joy could use a little chocolate.  So I made a cake, and cupcakes.

 Waiting so patiently for us to sing.
 Yes, we did actually let her eat it.
 Then it was time for presents, which apparently means tackle Daddy.
 Opening the card from Grandma P.
 Oh, it was so sweet.
 But Joy didn't miss the REAL present.
 Opening Grandma L's present.
 She loved her cow.  It walks and sings "Bust a Mooove".  It's been a huge hit.
 Then The Captain got to give her his present.  He picked it out himself on Amazon and everything.  He is now convinced that he will get a bouncy ball for his birthday, too.
 And this present is from us . . . well kind of.  I got it at my baby shower, but I knew Joy wouldn't appreciate it and The Captain would commandeer it if I gave it to her right away, so it made a nice 1 year gift.

The day after this she did one of the two things we were betting on, so stay tuned for that revelation.

1 comment:

Teandra said...

she is too cute, great pics.