So, one of the many reasons I have been busy lately has been that I have resurrected one of my oldest and most loved hobbies -- sewing. And after creating a skirt or two and fixing a few also, I decided to expand my horizon my trying a vintage pattern. I have discovered what I feel will be a deep and abiding love of 50s patterns, thanks to dressaday.com. My goal now is to be confused with June Cleaver and to ask myself "what would Doris wear" frequently. Here is my first vintage dress, the mockup in horrible Walmart cotton. (One day it will get the fabric it deserves).


I learned a lot from putting together this pattern, like old-fashioned button holes, fabric-covered buttons, and sleeve cuffs. It looks a lot better with a puffy slip under it, which I have acquired, so I get many more positive comments now.
So, since there was only minimal cussing when putting this together, I have decided it was worth it to try other patterns, and thanks to ebay, I now have a little stash of vintage patterns.
I have been sewing since I was a little girl. My mom taught me and the first thing I sewed was a handkerchief. I still lack the skill I need to do all the sewing I want, but I feel a lot better now that I'm sewing again. It's nice to have something to fill the void homework has left in my life. Now I can come home from work and have something to do!!
3 comments:
Cute! But I have my doubts about you being confused with June Cleaver. What was your role in our English presentations again? ;)
I miss your face.
all you need is a little yellow feather duster... and a bandana over your hair. But with a smile...always with a smile
Post a Comment