Wednesday, January 20, 2010

It's a Small World


I was at church the other week (like I am every week, Mom) waiting afterwards for Johnny to finish his calling. He is the financial clerk and counts tithing after our block of meetings. We could take two cars, but it's just as easy to keep G happy in the lobby as it would be at home. Plus then I get to hear the other ward's sacrament meeting, and it's usually pretty good.

Anyway, it was the first week of the year and I was helping G walk around the foyer, when someone brought their little boy out of the chapel. Happens all the time, so I didn't pay any attention until he said my name. Turns out he was one of my first FHE brothers in college. Man, those were good times. But it totally surprised me that he would remember my name since I wasn't very outspoken or well-known in that ward. The whole experience made me think of two things:

1) It will be very interesting to see myself through other people's eyes in the afterlife. I have had a pretty severe inferiority complex most of my life. In high school I was always surprised when people knew my name. And in college I was known to say that I was not the main character in my own life for several years. I think it will interesting to see where I fall in the character lineup of other people's stories.

2) I was reminded of the etiquette book from the 50's that I bought at a library book sale. A lot of the advice in it is fun to laugh at, but some still applies, especially the section on meeting people who you haven't seen in awhile, or people outside of their normal context. I have to say, my FHE brother did better than most people, but it is still difficult running into people that I recognize, but not being able to remember a name or how I know them. My book recommends saying your name when you run into someone and mentioning how you know them, if you know. I think I might resolve to be better about doing this, and being fearless about asking people their name and how I know them if I can't remember. I know it's acceptable in our culture, but I still feel like it's rude. I much prefer the re-introduce yourself strategy.

3 comments:

Ann said...

I knew your name in High School, am I special? :)

Tara Jayne said...

yes, Ann, you are special.

Britt said...

Johnny's financial clerk? Mike just got released from that... it's his favorite calling. He's in mourning.

They put him in primary hehehehe

(Only problem is now he can't stay with Mister when he's not liking nursery... I ended up with 35 lbs half asleep in my lap through 2 hours....)