In honor of G's 18 month birthday (oh, such an important one, hello Nursery!) I thought I would document some of the things I have come to enjoy with toddlerhood. One of the blessings I have definitely enjoyed from teaching Seminary has been more love for G and being a mom. So here they are, the ten things I love: (why ten? because it's alliterative, of course)
Finally, G doesn't need me around every second! He quite enjoys playing by himself. I call this picture Where's G?
Especially after he spends a lot of time around groups of people. He's quite a quiet child and very okay with being alone.
2- Helper Man
I think every mom looks forward to the phase where all you need to turn a no into a yes is a request for help. G loves to help me anyway he can. So he's learned how to put diapers in the pail, throw away garbage, and follow simple directions . . . well most of the time.
3- Attention Span
As most toddlers do, G will want to do something until I let him, then promptly change his mind, but that aside, he really does have quite a long attention span. Give him a bucket and some rocks and I have enough time to do the dishes and start dinner.
4- Spontaneous Affection
G is a genuinely happy boy and loves to give me hugs around my legs, from the back, or in my arms. He doesn't always like to snuggle, but he still loves to climb in my lap and sit next to me and he does let me rub his head occasionally. I know this phase isn't going to last too much longer, but I'm sure loving it.
5- Little Explorer
G really likes to run around and find new toys, new sections of the yard, and new things to do.
I'm so grateful we have a fenced in backyard that I can just set him loose in. Now if only I could convince him not to pick the green tomatoes . . .
6- Finding Sources
G loves noises, but he will stop whatever he is doing to find out where a noise is coming from. I think it's great that he is so interested in how things work. He figured out how to fill up these buckets with water from the misting hose we have even though he had to get soaked to do it.
Then he tried to drink the water . . .
7- Emerging Creativity
G has finally started creative play, and he likes to figure out fun uses for things. For example, he discovered that his sippy cup will release a drop of water when turned upside down. He used this knowledge to become a little Rembrant on his high chair tray.
8- Constant Repetition
Although reading the same book the same way 50 times a day like G wants me to would make me want to shoot off my foot with a paintball gun, I do love that G loves to repeat things. I admit, I have selfish reasons for this, 1) if I do something that he thinks is funny, I can just do it again and he'll still laugh. Voila, I am suddenly one of the world's funniest people. And I like that. And b) I love hearing him laugh. It might be my favorite sound. So it's nice that I don't have to work too hard to get him to do it. I just do the same thing over and over, and he tries to do it too. He's an excellent mimicker, like all toddlers. He loves to try to make whatever facial expression I'm making, which leads to . . .
9-New Tricks
G has always been interactive with strangers, that's one of the reasons people love him. (He's become somewhat of a ward celebrity.) But now he's got all sorts of new tricks that on a good day, he likes to show off. These include: marching, turning around, walking backwards, saying mama, no, and dada, high fives, fist bumps, and these expressions:
10-Fuzzy Obession
Right now, G loves to hug and snuggle with stuffed animals. And by snuggle, I mean lay on. I don't really remember much about my own stuffed animal phase, although it's something I never quite grew out of, but I just think it's so cute to see him be sweet to things. It gives me hope for the (as yet unplanned) day in the future when he has siblings. I think he'll be a sweet older brother, which is good because it's too late for him to be a younger brother.
2 comments:
A little birdie told me that day is July...
who told you that?
Post a Comment