Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Christmas Hands

I guess I have to give up being a Scrooge officially now, at least for about 20 years while I have kids around.

I was somewhat guilted into getting a tree this year, but I have not been sorry. Look at this beauty!


I realized while decorating the house that I don't really have many decorations. While I don't think this is a bad thing, I will be hitting up the after-Christmas sales this year so that next year we can be a little more festive.

I feel bitten by the crafty bug this time of year, but I have a lot on my plate this month, so I decided to start a tradition I think I can handle. It's a pretty good idea, too, even if it's me saying so. It came from our lack of child-friendly tree ornaments. And while I could make like 50 with G, given time, I decided (thanks to my sister-in-law's brilliant handmade gifts from 2 years ago) instead to make ornaments every year by tracing my child(ren)'s hands and turning them into a soft, squishy, heart-melting reminder of how fast and how much they grow.

I put a star on this year, but in the future I'll do other Christmas-y pictures. I also put tags on them with G's name and age, so we can keep track.
I have tons of white felt thanks to Halloween, so maybe we'll keep doing G's in white and if we have more kids, they can get there own color. Or maybe we'll pick a new color every year, or maybe everyone will be white. Clearly I haven't ironed out all the details yet, but luckily I don't have to yet.


Happy Christmas, everyone!

3 comments:

Mike and Amy said...

Oh, my!! That is such a CUTE idea! I love it!! I may have to borrow that idea ...

I like your new blog setup, by the way. :)

Teandra said...

is it a real or fake tree? I'm a scrooge, we have zero christmas decorations up...you're such a good mom though and those hands are adorable!

Tara Jayne said...

Thanks, guys! It's a fake tree, Tea. One day maybe we'll try a real one. This is a good area for it, but neither Johnny or I have any experience with one, so we usually stick to what we know.