Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Welcome February, I've been waiting for you

If I was a wiser woman, or slightly more in control of my life, I would break all these random thoughts into individual posts and expound on them, thus creating a week's worth of posts and happy grandparents, but alas, I'm not that woman.  So here are some random thoughts on this February morning.

Joy is a ridiculous child.  Some children have quirks that only come out when they're tired.  For example, some are biters, or get clumsy, or start yelling.  Joy wants to be upside down, but only when she's tired.  It is a strange and observable fact documented by outsiders.  When she starts arching her back and grinning up a storm from her view of the underside of my chin, it's time to pull out the blankets for a good swaddle and a nap.

Since we've started potty training, we've emphasized the importance of washing our hands.  We've talked about things that are dirty and why we have to wash our hands.  To help The Captain be a successful hand-washer, I sing the ABC song every time we wash our hands so he rubs his hands together long enough for the germs that only toddlers could collect to go away.  Consequently, a week or so ago, he started singing the ABC song on his own.  In fact, he loves to sing it to himself in bed instead of napping, or yelling it while running around the house.  So I asked him to sing it for the camera. I didn't caption it because I have no idea what he says at the beginning.  In the middle he talks about how Grandma and Grandpa love to see his trucks.  Also, his sigh at the beginning kills me.

Apparently, people listen to me.  This is a strange idea for me as not many people in my past did.  But I've had two examples in the past 24 hours to remind me to be careful.

1) The Captain is on a name kick.  He loves to tell people his name and ask people what his name is and what their name is.  We've been working on introducing him to the "last name" concept.  And he's doing really well.  So he knows his first and last name.  But I haven't worried about middle names.  Apparently that was a mistake.  Johnny was putting The Captain down for bed yesterday and talking to him about his name.  He told him his full name and The Captain freaked out and said, "I'm not [insert full name here].  That's not what Mommy said."

2) In seminary today, we were talking about the dangers of "steadying the ark".  I brought up some more controversial topics in the church (i.e. gay marriage and women & the Priesthood).  They said, "women don't need the Priesthood, we're equal to men without it.  That's what you taught us."  Wow, the referred to lesson was the first of this year, if not last year.  I had no idea they were listening.  I guess my coordinator was right.  You must be very careful what you say as a seminary teacher because they take everything as doctrine.

It's scary, but it's nice to know someone is listening sometimes.

1 comment:

Teandra said...

I listen to you! and that little boy is to die for. I'm so glad you take videos, keep 'em comin.