Friday, August 24, 2012

Frankenstein Tomatoes

We planted our garden this year, just like we do every year, but this year something was different.  This year a strange beast started taking over.

 A giant tomato plant sprung out of nowhere.  Unencouraged by human hands, it plotted it's revenge on the world through excessive tomato production.
We understood the dangers of letting the beast remain uncontrolled, so we caged it with 8 foot bamboo poles.  They were barely enough to contain the monster.


But in all seriousness, we have no idea where this giant came from.  I guess the plants my friend gave me last year weren't hybrids and came back.  Which bods well for next year since plenty of tomatoes have fallen to the ground.

In other news, I have tried unsuccessfully for two years to grow pumpkins here.  I am determined to do it, so this year I planted them all alone in our little unused triangle patch by the door.  They seem to like it.   
 We've already had to loop the vine back into its area a few times because it tends to keep venturing onto the lawn.

I love watching the flowers uncurl in the sunshine.
 There are lots of flowers so I hope we'll have lots of pumpkins.  If you look closely at this picture you can see some orange from the big one we already have.
 The other day The Captain came in telling me about big caterpillars he had seen outside.  I maybe only halfway believed him until he pointed them out while I was photographing the pumpkins.  They were huge.  There were four in all.  They don't seem to have destroyed my parsley, but I can't say it would have minded being eaten a little, it's getting slightly out of control.

2 comments:

Teandra said...

that's amazing! I'm a terrible gardner our beans our dead and nothing else seems to be growing. We did have to transplant our squash to the ground since it outgrew the planter so hopefully we'll get something before frost comes.

Tara Jayne said...

Yes it's ironic because I was always under the impression that tomatoes were the hardest things to grow, and they are the only things that do well for me. We've only gotten a handful of beans, two squash, and a few bell peppers. Pretty lame. Of course, I can't really touch anything or I kill it. And we do live in a pretty ideal growing climate. Can't say the same about NM.