So, I went to Vegas last weekend to see my new nephew blessed. It was nice to hang out with the fam and watch the guys play Guitar Hero for 8 hours on Saturday, but since that was in Vegas, I can't say much about that. However, the car trouble we had on the way home is fair game.
A few weeks ago, Johnny's car overheated on his way to school. The culpret-a split hose. So when we took his car to Vegas (mine can't go over 75 mph and is much dirtier than this picture)
Johnny brought some duck tape in case we needed a quick fix. Well, we did. The car overheated about 40 miles from Mesquite. Luckily, Johnny's fam was traveling behind us and pulled over with us and helped us find the problem. They duck taped the split hose and we went another 20 miles before overheating again. Apparently the "temporary" part of 'temporary fix' was shorter than we'd hoped. So, we put more water in the radiator and turned up the heat all the way and drove slower and made it to Mesquite. Barely. We started overheating on the exit. So we found a Smith's parking lot that attached to a gas station and bought some more water (we figured it was definitely an ox-in-the-mire situation and thus not a huge Sabbath Day violation) and asked in the gas station if there were any mechanics open at 9 pm on a Sunday. The attendant made a call, and we had ourselves an appointment. So a large, anti-social mechanic named Larry fixed us up and we were on our way. We got into St. George around 10:30, a mere 4 hours since we'd left Vegas.
At this point I realized that going to work in the morning was probably not a wise idea since I have to drive for a living. Even so, I took advantage of the darkness and took a little nap. At 1 am Johnny woke me up to help keep him awake and we made it to Nephi 1/2 hour later. We walked around, woke up a little, and were still naively optimistic on getting home by 2:30. We would have been close to accurate had we not been pulled over at 2:20 AM by a state trooper merely to have him tell us that he was writing us a warning for our headlight that has been out for a year and a half (that was the first time anyone had pulled us over for that). So we didn't get home until after 3 and then I insisted that we unload the car before we hit the hay because when my sister came to check on the house and the cat that weekend she informed me that our back door was unlocked. So I was still a little freaked out by that potentially close call. I wasn't about to leave anything inticing in our car to attract people with bad intentions. So I didn't get to sleep until around 4 probably.
I did not go to work Monday morning, and after this huge ordeal I will say that we should always have half days on Monday. I was so happy, and Monday's are usually my second worst day of the week. So I guess that's the moral of the story: half-day Mondays!
1 comment:
Sounds like fun. ;) I've had similar Cool Car experiences.
What about the de-popcorning? How did that go? Any pics?
Post a Comment