Tuesday, February 23, 2010

New Year's Goals

One of my goals for the new year was to sew a dress every month. In addition to adding to my already awesome wardrobe, the goal was also about increasing my skill. It takes 10,000 hours to become an expert in something, so it's high time I put a few into what could potentially be a huge asset.
So this is January's project. I guess I kind of cheated since I started this dress in December, but I'm going to say it counts.
It came from this pattern:
Here's what I learned from this project:
  • Matching stripes. This was really hard work especially since I had in mind how I wanted the stripes to fall on the dress and unfortunately, it was not on grain. So I lined the whole bodice with a muslin that was on grain to keep the pieces in line. As you can see, the back is not perfect, but I think it didn't end up too bad.
  • Always make sure you have enough fabric before you start a project. The purple skirt was plan C and I had to buy it from the fabric store around the middle of the month.
  • The pattern is originally not a real shirtwaist, but calls for a back zipper. A back zipper? The whole reason I bought the pattern (online) was for its shirtwaistness, so I just sewed up the back center seam and made some buttonholes. I'm getting much better at making them all the same size after I read my sewing machine manual. Strange what a difference that makes.
  • Next time I make this pattern, I'm going to have to be careful about the gaping that is occurring with the trim that has the buttonholes. I'm not sure how to fix this fit problem, but hopefully with more experience, I'll figure it out. Also I need a little more ease around the back shoulders, otherwise my tendency to dramatically express myself might lead to some ripped seams.
Things I like about this dress:
  • The pockets, of course. More especially because I made them out of the rainbow stripy fabric and they poke out just a little bit from the skirt adding more fun detail.
  • This is the first really casual dress I've made. I can dress it up for church, but its really just for hanging out.
  • The skirt is flattering and fun. I considered just slapping on another smaller skirt with the fabric from plan A or B, but I'm glad I got to use the original pattern because I love the way the skirt turned out.
  • I have at least 4 pairs of shoes I can wear with this dress. And they're all fun.
  • My first time wearing this dress was a Miss Frizzle moment since for Primary we experimented with food coloring. I don't know if anyone caught it, but I definitely dressed for the occasion. And who doesn't want to be more like Miss Frizzle?

6 comments:

Erin. said...

Great work, Tara! I think that you can use a light interfacing to help with the gapping between buttons. Also, button placement is vital. (This is all opinion, of course, because I have a LOT more altering of ready-made patterns to do before I can make a top for myself. But, I've read a lot about it. ;) )

I just took four boxes of fabric to my mother's house because I'm trying to focus on singing and clear out extra hobbies. Although, I *do* still have a lot of projects to complete...Beverly's blanket (uh, ...14 months now in the making and nearly two years since buying the fabric) is finally at sandwich stage! On to quilting during tv time!

Good luck with your dress/month goal! Very ambitious. Oh, and you should totally invest in a button-hole foot for your machine. They're miraculous! I love mine.

Tara Jayne said...

Man, Erin, I wish I could steal your fabric stash. I need some cool old person to will theirs to me, and all their cool patterns, too.
I have a buttonhole foot with my machine that's all mechanized and cool, but I could never figure out what length went with which size, but turns out there's a handy chart in my manual.
And surprisingly enough, the buttonhole gaping is not between the buttons but above them, right around my collarbone. I took it in at the shoulder seam already, but it didn't really help. I think I might have to switch button sides next time to see if it's a buttonhole issue, or a pattern issue. Cause I guess I could adjust the pattern if I had to . . .

Also, February's dress is done! Pics to come shortly.

toni said...

I'm still amazed at your talent. I'm excited to finally GET a sewing machine so I can do hems! Even then its mediocre. Love ya. Looks cute!

The Leithead Family said...

Oh...See, I have a really cool button-hole foot. You actually stick the button in part of it and then it makes the button-hole automatically the right size. :D Super cool, eh? I was excited.

The Leithead Family said...

Post a picture of the gapping you're talking about and then I can show my mom. She might have some ideas.

KColton said...

wow that's so awesome! I'm just starting to learn how to sew. I'm attempting just straight lines right now with some cute pillowcases...haha :) it's much harder than it looks. I LOVE watching Project Runway and it inspired to me to start something.