As if the inevitability of lung cancer and the fact that you are inhaling tar isn't enough to keep you away, consider the financial investment smoking is. Have you ever noticed how expensive cigarette packs are? It's quite ridiculous, especially when you consider how much it will cost for medical bills for that hacking cough and the amputation of your vocal cords, and the dental bills to whiten up those stained pearly whites.
Then there are the social costs. The gross smell emanating from your clothes and your house keep the suitors away. And I can't imagine kissing a smoker--gross! Then there's the laws passed that alienate you from non-smokers condemning you to little glass rooms in airports where people can stare and shake their heads in disgust. And when you need a smoking break, which you will, you have to go to cold, dirty parking garages possibly risking your life (I know how people drive), or street corners outside the building, giving off the appearance of loiters or solicitors.
Then there's the just plain inconvenience of it all. Having to take three or four breaks a day to grab a smoke, being forced outside in all sorts of weather. Then for those who smoke while driving (and there's an alarming amount in Salt Lake who do this) it doesn't matter if it's 13 degrees outside and snowing, you have to drive with the window down. This fact alone would keep me from ever smoking. I value the heat in my car more than anything else (granted heat is about the only thing going for it as far as vanity and convenience is concerned). And imagine how bad it would be to have to have the window rolled down in the summer and suffering the hot wind blowing on your frying arm that stuck out the window. (I have a little taste of this since my black car doesn't have air conditioning.)
So if scary or funny commercials just aren't cutting it, consider the practical side of things and DON'T SMOKE. I will admit I have somewhat of a personal interest in this topic since the second-hand smoke I inhale could shorten my lifespan, too. And anyone who smokes and has a family, think of the children, and your spouse for that matter.
That is all.
No comments:
Post a Comment